Thursday, April 12, 2012

SoCal Tacos

Various Locations (http://www.eatsocaltacos.com/)
972.246.TACO (8226)
All Major Credit Cards (Very cool for a Taco Truck!)

Tacos Consumed: Steak (Newport)/Chicken (Delmar)
Prefered Taco: Steak (Newport)

Driving home I noticed a Taco Truck (a what?) in my neighborhood at N. Beach and Western Center. There were quite a few cars parked and a line had formed. "Oh, I'm gonna get some of that!" I thought.

A few hours later I returned to take some tacos back to enjoy, and was greeted by Scott who (I think) was the owner. I immediately figured out this was from the growing trend of "hipster trucks" that are starting to pop-up. While my preference is the old school taco trucks where you stand in line with beaten-down immagrants trying to woof something down during a construction break. Those are the ones near to my heart.

SoCal Tacos is akin to a Fuzzy's on wheels. It's your typical hipster truck God help them if they ever get a liquor license as I imagine this would be "the place to be" to sit out, eat tacos, and drink beer.

Scott and his group seem to have a pretty good following (and that just grew by one!). Almost every customer that was in line seemed to know Scott...and those that don't got to know him real fast due to his excitement of entertaining guests.

Scott was adamant that I did not get my tacos "to go" to for my review (I can fully respect that as fresh is always best) - BUT there is something to be said about tacos that will keep for at least 20 minutes..and these did!!

Admittetly I was not a huge fan of these hipster trucks when the genre started about 3 years ago...but a good taco--no a GREAT taco--is a great taco! SoCal Tacos were among the best I've ever eaten - hands down. I am confident any of my adpoted mexican brothers would agree these tacos still hold on to the tradition of "street tacos" yet provide many of the plush amenities that most of the trucks would - if they could.




I am unsure of the different offerings they have, seeing things like "Newport" and "Delmar" threw me off a little. I informed Scott, "I just want some Asada". I was also clear that I wanted corn tortillas, and cilantro and onions. Even though my business trips in LA resulted in many tacos like I described, I wanted to be sure I would not get a "Fuzzy's-like white-boy taco", and I was not disappointed.


At $3.00 a taco, I doubt SoCal Tacos will do much business setting up shop on the corner of Seminary and Hemphill, (ie Tacoville). However, he can bring the tastes of Tacoville to, say....Southlake I don't see why the line would not be 20 people deep.


EASILY a five-taco rating. I never would have guessed it, but I call 'em like I see 'em. Damn those are good tacos.

4 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree with this review more... in fact, they're in my 'hood for lunch... I'm gonna get me some tacos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caught them at Bear Creek Spirits in Colleyville Friday night. Had two chicken tacos and they were excellent. Different than Taco Heads, my other favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many people trust Doors In Motion for their access entry needs. We are a family owned business here in Fort Worth, Texas and our goal is simple. Honesty! We want to assess all scenarios, explain what happened and provide solutions for the need. here are options for fort worth garage door repair,fort worth garage door services, fort worth garage door installation and fort worth garage door sales.

    ReplyDelete